It's true, although many of the algorithms will by nature not emphasize
popular items.
There is an old and semi-deprecated class in the project
called InverseUserFrequency, which you can use to manually de-emphasize
popular items internally. I wouldn't really recommend it.

You can always use IDRescorer yes. If you have business rules that dictate
some things must be filtered, that's the right way to go. As purely a tool
to demote popular items.. it's a bit heavy-handed and not the ideal way to
solve it.