My understanding:

Yes, the log-likelihood ratio (-2 log lambda) follows a chi-squared
distribution with 1 degree of freedom in the 2x2 table case.
      A   ~A
~B

We're testing to see if p(A | B) = p(A | ~B). That's the null hypothesis. I
compute the LLR. The larger that is, the more unlikely the null hypothesis
is to be true.
I can then look at a table with df=1. And I'd get p, the probability of
seeing that result or something worse (the upper tail).
So, the probability of them being similar is 1 - p (which is exactly the
CDF for that value of X).

Now, my question is: in the contingency table case, why would I normalize?
It's a ratio already, isn't it?