From: Ted Dunning [mailto:ted.dunn...@gmail.com]
Sent: 13 January 2014 18:00
To: user@mahout.apache.org
Subject: Re: travelling salesman on Mahout

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Pavan K Narayanan < pavan.naraya...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Please may I ask why TSP has been removed from Mahout.

It was the Genetic Algorithms that were removed.

The implementation was unmaintained and not scalable and thus not appropriate
for Mahout.

> Its just that I
> see discussions about distributed Genetic Algorithm and other
> evolutionary algorithms being implemented in distributed environment
> and feel it would be possible to implement in Mahout as well.

Indeed, it is quite possible.  Most evolutionary algorithms are trivially
parallel.  But somebody has to step up to maintain the code.

> For example, the initial population generation and evaluating the best
> initial route could be done in 'n' nodes using 'n' map phases and we
> could have a reduce phase where the best of initial route from 'n'
> nodes could be taken for further treatment like mutation, etc... What
> are your thoughts on this?

I think that it would be better done using something like Giraph or Spark.
 This isn't a natural fit to map-reduce due to the iteration.

Also, TSP itself is not a particularly interesting problem for Mahout.  The
Concorde system is very mature and already scales to over a hundred nodes using
MPI.  Mahout is not going touch it and has very little to offer.