From: Pat Ferrel [mailto:p...@occamsmachete.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 12:58 PM
To: user@mahout.apache.org
Subject: Re: running spark-itemsimilarity against HDP sandbox with Spark

There are some issues with using Mahout on Windows so you’ll have to run on a
‘nix machine or VM. There shouldn’t be any problem with using VMs as long as
your Spark install is setup correctly.

Currently you have to build Spark first and then Mahout from source. Mahout
uses Spark 1.1. You’ll need to build Spark from source using “mvn install”
rather than their recommended “mvn package” There were some problems in the
Spark artifacts when running from the binary release. Check Mahout’s Spark FAQ
for some pointers http://mahout.apache.org/users/sparkbindings/faq.html

Verify Spark is running correctly by trying their sample SparkPi job.
http://spark.apache.org/docs/1.1.1/submitting-applications.html

Spark in general and spark-itemsimilarity especially like lots of memory so you
may have to play with the -sem option to spark-itemsimilarity.