The new cooccurrence recommender that works with a search engine has several
references at the top of the page here:
http://mahout.apache.org/users/recommender/intro-cooccurrence-spark.html

On Feb 12, 2015, at 6:56 AM, John Hofmann <genghisu...@gmail.com> wrote:

You're not missing any secret cache of mahout documentation as far as I
know.  I learned what the recommender options were by looking through the
source code.  They're spelled out there.  If you know any C-based languages
you can navigate the code pretty easily but expect to spend some time
getting familiar with the repo.

The other avenue I've taken was the book "Mahout in Action."  It's a little
dated, but is generally still pretty applicable.  It goes into more detail
about why you'd pick one option over another.  I've noticed that most of
the blog posts about mahout assume you have a level of knowledge about
different ML algorithms that is comparable to what's in this book, so it's
a good one to read if you are going to be doing serious work with Mahout.

There might be better options, but that's how I learned.  Hope this helps!