On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Ankit Goel <ankitgoel2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If one wanted to modify the kmeans algorithm given with the mahout package,
> how would/should one go about doing it?

If you want to modify the old map reduce code, please go right ahead.  The
project members will not be maintaining that code going forward, however,
so that modification will be all yours.

> Also what is the function that can be used to find the median point between
> 2 or more vectors? As in I want the median point in vector format so that I
> can use it as a new center maybe.

It sounds like you want to compute the medoid of several vectors [1] or
possibly the geometric median [2]. Neither is particularly easy to compute
and Mahout supports neither.

You may also have wanted the vector mean.  That is trivial to compute ...
just add up the vectors and divide by the number of vectors.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medoid

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_median