This is so inaccurate and not true. You obviously have not been following
Mahout project. Mahout has long moved away from MapReduce and presently
support Spark, H2O and in future Flink as execution engines.

I would suggest you look at the recent Mahout 0.11.0 and see where the
project is before we delve into a comparison of Mahout vs Spark.