BTW this use of Mahout-Samsara on Spark for recs has really expanded. The
Samsara part I’m calling a Correlation Engine, it can be used to mix usage,
content, and context to make recs. I look back on 2 years ago as pretty much
groping around for solutions. Things are much clearer now (for me at least)

Check out some slides about the math, leading to the “whole enchilada”
equation. Ted Dunning, Sean Owen, and Sebastian Schelter get no small credit.
http://www.slideshare.net/pferrel/unified-recommender-39986309

Even have code running using the PredicitonIO framework. This includesa SDK to
event store to realtime query. Loosely speaking a lambda architecture. Most of
the whole enchilada running except the content part of the equation, which only
works on metadata for how.
https://github.com/pferrel/scala-parallel-universal-recommendation

We even do custom versions at actionML.com