It also bugs me when I can't suggest any alternatives, yet don't like the
ones in front of me...

I became aware of a symbol a week or so ago, and it keeps coming back to
me.

The Enso.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ens%C5%8D

Things I like about it:
(all from wikipedia, since the only thing I knew about this symbol prior is
that someone I met had a tattoo of it).
It represents (among a few other things) enlightenment.
^^ This resonated with the 'alternate definition of mahout' from Hebrew-
which may be something akin to essence or truth.

It is a circle- which plays to the Samsara theme.

It is very expressive, a simple one or two brush stroke circle which
symbolizes several large concepts and things about the creator, expressive
like our DSL (I feel gross comparing such a symbol to a Scala DSL, but I'm
spit balling here, please forgive me- I am not so expressive).

"Once the *ensō* is drawn, one does not change it. It evidences the
character of its creator and the context of its creation in a brief,
contiguous period of time." Which reminds me of the DRMs

In closed form it represents something akin to Plato's perfection- which a
little more wiki surfing tells me is the idea that no one can create a
perfect circle because a circle is a collection of infinite points and how
could ever be sure that you have arranged each one properly, yet such
things must exist, or what blueprint would a creator of circles be striving
for.  This, by-the-by reminds me of stochastic approaches to solving
problems, and really statistics / "machine-learning" in general, in that we
can't find perfect solutions, yet we believe solutions exist and serve as
our blueprint.

Finally, I like that it is simple.

Things I don't like about it:
Lucent Technologies used it back in the 90s, however they used a very
specific red one, and this isn't a deal breaker for me.

Other thoughts:
Based on the tattoo I saw- one could make an Enso using old mahout color
palatte if one were to dab their brush in the appropriate colors. This
could also be represented in any single color. (Not sure what that does to
our TM, is it ok if we just keep slapping TMs on the side of it? If that is
the case is there any reason we must have a single Enso?)

So there is something to throw in the pot that is a little more grown up
than my runner up favorites (honey badger, blueman riding bomb waving
cowboy hat, blueman riding lighting bolt into a squirrel covered in water,
etc).

Again, only know what wiki has told me, so if anyone is more familiar with
this symbol (like was it used as a logo by some horrible dictator which
carried out terrible attrocities?) or just general comments.
tg

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things."  -Virgil*