Hi Steph,

Zookeeper is a coordination service for distributed systems. Having a
quorum means that more than half of the number of nodes are up and running.
This is for protection of brain splitting issue. Zookeeper is a distributed
system and it may be down at any time.

Brain splitting can be explained like that: assume that there are 4 nodes
of Zookeeper. 2 of them can interact with each other but cannot with other
two and vice versa. Some of MFC nodes are connected to 2 of them and some
of them other. For a quorum we need 4 / 2 + 1 = 3. There could be a problem
for MFC nodes if it was 2 (like a split of brain). Formula is calculated
like that since there can be only one subset of any set which has a size of
greater than half at any time.

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI