That's a great question James. So for the past ~8 months we've been using a
jenkins master + (n) slaves setup to build images. We currently build
around ~20 different images for production, a few of which are also setup
to separately for CI (building a GitHub pull request, tagging with a branch
name, running unit/integration tests and pushing the image on success). To
be honest, this actually does work pretty well. Docker is a stable bit of
kit, and most of the issues we ran into were environmental... though still
a problem. I think this approach is valid, and will work for most users -
and even better if you couple if with the Jenkins on Mesos framework.

I'd like to highlight a few of the problems we found with running that
infrastructure;

- Even though we have a fair few number of images, people don't build
images 24/7. However, we have some big machines up 24/7 to serve the image
builds such that they complete in a timely manor when required... people
don't like to wait for things, and something like this can block a
developer unnecessarily.