Also +1 for CCAAT and -1 for the rename. The "minion" naming convention seems a
little gimmicky to me. Master/Slave pretty accurately describes exactly what's
going on in the case of Mesos. You could argue that in something like MySQL
leader/follower makes more sense because it is following along... though that
doesn't really apply here.

On Tuesday, Jun 2, 2015 at 5:13 pm, CCAAT <cc...@tampabay.rr.com>, wrote:
On 06/01/2015 04:18 PM, Adam Bordelon wrote:

> There has been much discussion about finding a less offensive name than

> "Slave", and many of these thoughts have been captured in

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1478

I find political correctness rather nausiating. Folks should stop

trying to apologies for what others did, often hundreds of years ago.

I was not part of that. The advanced education system, the political

system and the current wealth control systems around the globe, are in

fact and indeed "Master-Slave" relationships; so why cleanse this notion

prematurely?

Master-slave has a rich history in the entire field of compuatational

resources and electronics. That usage has nothing to do with social

conventions and failings of the past. So, if you want to do something

effective for those of us less fortunate, why not use terms like

> I would like to open up the discussion on this topic for one week, and

> if we cannot arrive at a lazy consensus, I will draft a proposal from

> the discussion and call for a VOTE.

> Here are the questions I would like us to answer:

> 1. What should we call the "Mesos Slave" node/host/machine?

> 2. What should we call the "mesos-slave" process (could be the same)?

Elite-taxpayer  or  Lawyer-citizen or Billionare-wager  or

Professor-debtor ?

  Something more apropo?

> 3. Do we need to rename Mesos Master too?

The concept of a master has been around ever since (2) males or more

graced this planet (your theories of soccial evilutoin may vary but they

are irrelevant).

Commander? General ? Generalisimo?   Master_Chief  Warlord?

Why not get rid of the entire Apache evironment why you are at it?

This line of reasoning is nothing but *STUPID*   You cannot errase

the history of the warrior existence of mankind. Nor should any today

apologize for historical convention. WE did not commit any bad deeds

before we were born, so just get over it!

> Another topic worth discussing is the deprecation process, but we don't

> necessarily need to decide on that at the same time as deciding the new

> name(s).

> 4. How will we phase in the new name and phase out the old name?

> Please voice your thoughts and opinions below.

> Thanks!

> -Adam-

> P.S. My personal thoughts:

> 1. Mesos Worker [Node]

> 2. Mesos Worker or Agent

> 3. No

> 4. Carefully

This is the sadest thread I have ever read.

James