Blatant product plug: The easiest way to run hdfs-mesos on Mesos (using
Marathon) is to launch a DCOS (EE) cluster. https://mesosphere.com/product/
You might also want to look at the custom DCOS config in
https://github.com/mesosphere/hdfs/tree/master/example-conf/mesosphere-dcos

For basic instructions on running an app in Marathon, see
https://mesosphere.github.io/marathon/docs/application-basics.html
See the marathon.json in DCOS Universe:
https://github.com/mesosphere/universe/blob/version-1.x/repo/packages/H/hdfs/0/marathon.json
Just replace any of the {{moustache}} variables with values like the
defaults in
https://github.com/mesosphere/universe/blob/version-1.x/repo/packages/H/hdfs/0/config.json
You can also simplify the command to "cd hdfs-mesos* && ./bin/hdfs-mesos"