Check out this link for info on /tmp cleanup in Ubuntu:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/20783/how-is-the-tmp-directory-cleaned-up

And check out this link for information on some of the work_dir's contents
on a Mesos agent: http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/sandbox/

The work_dir contains important application state for the Mesos agent, so
it should not be placed in a location that will be automatically
garbage-collected by the OS. The choice of /tmp/mesos as a default location
is a bit unfortunate, and hopefully we can resolve that JIRA issue soon to
change it. Ideally you should be able to leave the work_dir alone and let
the Mesos agent manage it for you.

In any case, I would recommend that you set the work_dir to something
outside of /tmp; /var/lib/mesos is a commonly-used location.

Cheers,
Greg