I just want to pile in here and recommend taking a look at the parser
chaining use-case, which is a walk-through of pulling in firewall logs over
syslog using grok (
https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/use-cases/parser_chaining).
Unfortunately this is in master and yet in a release, but it will show you
how to use grok to parse syslogs containing some other format inside.

Casey