> One thing I don't know is how to exclude ".svn" directories in the search.

Use `grep --exclude'.

Jonathon

Al Byers wrote:
Tej,

There are far worse things that happen on the list than saying thank you
:0), but you are right that it is probably clutter that we don't need.
Responding directly to the other party is probably okay if you wish to
express thanks, since it would not be of any value to the rest of the
community while much else of what goes on the list could be.

So that this does not end up being clutter, let me share my experience with
using Eclipse searching as the most important way to learn about OFBiz.
OFBiz is big, but it is not so big that there should be any hesitancy to
fire off a search whenever you want to learn more about something.

I usually click on the project root in the Package Explorer and then
"Search" ->"File" in the menu. You could skip that since the resulting
dialog box allows you to select "Enclosing Projects" (why is it plural?)
which accomplishes the same thing. Sometimes you may with to limit your
search to specific parts of the project - in that case selecting "Selected
Resources" would be appropriate.

I type in keywords or sometimes I use the regular expression feature to find
words that are paired together, but not necessarily immediately adjacent.
Something like "word1.*word2".

I usually constrain the file type to "*.java", "*.xml" or "*.java,*.xml".

When you click on each file found in the "Search" console, it replaces the
one previously clicked on. This is a feature. I think that if you double
click on it in the Package Hierarchy, it will persist, but I am not sure.

I know this is basic, but sometimes we overlook the needs of people just
getting started with OFBiz.

One thing I don't know is how to exclude ".svn" directories in the search.

I frequently find this method more productive than using the "Call
Hierarchy" option from the popup menu, but each has its place.

Maybe not everyone wants to work this way, but I find it as easy to find out
how things work from reading the code as I would in asking. But sometimes
you just don't know what to look for.

I search the mailing lists with Google. I always use the advanced search
option. I used to constrain the domain to ofbiz.org, but I find it easier to
just put "ofbiz" as one of the search tokens. This should also be done
before asking on the mailing list.

The wiki is another good place to search; as is JIRA. Look on the OFBiz
homepage for links to both.

I realize that these are not golden nuggets and I would like to know about
some of the more advanced techniques that others may use. Even though I have
been working with OFBiz for a long time, I often forget about all the
various methods and have a tendancy to ask too soon - before I have done
some basic investigation. In this case, I think your question is a good one
that people will query and find in the future.

-Al