I agree with Jacques the data model is adequate but the implementation of
VAT *is* large and detailed.

It is further complicated by adjustments with/without tax, promotions and
tax on adjustments and maintaining shoppingCart relationships between eg
shipping adj and the tax on that adjustment.

If it were not a large job (or if more people had a common interest) it
would have been done years ago.

(disclosure of hidden agenda: I would dearly love to have a more complete
VAT/GST implementation within the core rather than piece-meal custom add-ons
;) )