IMO, the problem with "mere linkage" is that there'd be so many scattered pieces of data to stitch together. Data retrieval or traversal will get a little heavy.

Might be better to simply reconcile duplicate Party(s) into one Party, and drop the duplicates thereafter.

That said, I think the Link function can still work very nicely as an interim measure. Or even as a permanent measure, if you don't mind having to keep track of scattered pieces of data. One possible snag is when you perform a "lookup" function, say like "Find all Party(s) with name like Blah". Your "lookup" function must consider linked Party(s) (aka duplicates), and NOT return those results.

Jonathon

Dave Tenerowicz wrote:
Yes, that's what we'll be doing.
IP address and visitorId would not be useful, since (in Phase 1) this is strictly an order taking function via sales reps- so there is no party specific IP address or visitorId.
Thanks for the suggestions though!

I gather that the Link function would offer no benefit for this, since no one has mentioned it??

-Dave

David E Jones wrote:

I think most companies do it by comparing things like name, phone number, address, etc.

Not sure where the IP address idea came from...

-David

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
What's the usual way to reconcile duplicates in Party(s)? Like if we have multiple Party(s) for the same person.

Perhaps have an administrator click a button that pools together suspected duplicate Party(s)? The administrator can then transfer all related records from one duplicate to another, possibly with audit trails intact too. Sounds like heavy coding work, though.

I'll need to handle the above, since there is no way I can prevent a user from creating duplicate Party(s).

Or more strictly prevent duplicates in the first place? Maybe I can have like a "3-point comparison" function that decides whether the user is entering duplicate data. I suppose I can dictate that there can be no duplicates in "name and postal code and mobile phone number (plus any other super-personal details)".

Jonathon

David E Jones wrote:

The visitorId may be more reliable... at least you know it's the same browser with that. See the Visitor table and related functionality.

-David

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
When IP addresses are typically assigned dynamically, I doubt this will be
useful.  Better to store a back resolved host name if you can get one.
Still not infallible if two users use the same machine.

Skip