From: Raj Saini [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 2:54 AM
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rich UI for POS

How about its license? It is GPL and not even LGPL. AFAIK, you can not
embed this with commercial applications.

Thanks,

Raj
Cameron Smith wrote:
Hi, here is a general contribution about the use of "rich" technologies,

given the discussion about POS.
Note I am not talking about POS features, I am just talking about the

viability of these features.  It is great fun to play with YUI, Dojo and
"Web 2.0 technology 57", but in terms of productivity my recommendation
would be ZK (www.zkoss.org) or an equivalent "fully fledged" framework.
We have been using the ZK framework with OFBiz for a while now (see

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/ZK+Rich+Client+-+integration+tutorial )
.  Up to now it was with 2-3 clients on a small, fully wired network.
However we have just put another system based on this combo, in production

, with a mixed wired/wireless network in a large building, and we have not
experienced latency problems except when the connection is wireless and
/extremely/ patchy (that is, unusable for anything, let alone intranet
apps).
I suspect on a WAN it would be a different issue.

The users are not very IT friendly but have picked up the system (which
involves quite heavy data entry) very fast, and IMHO that is partly
because using a rich framework lets us make more user-friendly screens
very easily.

This is with ZK 2.4.1, and very little performance tuning. This is because

ZK takes care of the browser-server protocol in an optimised way. Apparently ZK3.0 will have more OOTB performance tweaks, however I have not tested this
version yet.
All I can say is, we would never go back to "traditional" web development,

nor would we use "partial" toolsets like Dojo or prototype.  Our
productivity and UI usability improvements have been too significant.  We
would only consider moving "sideways" to another fully-fledged frontend
framework like Flex or OpenLaszlo.   Although as I argue here
(http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=ZKandAgile), so far
we are very happy with ZK.
cameron

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html