David,

Maven 2 is the right solution to the problem. I know Maven has its own problem but as long as separating the jars from source is concerned Maven is a good choice. Almost all of the ASF projects use it.

Thanks,

Raj
David E Jones wrote:

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
For some time now, I had been suggesting that we DO NOT include the 35+MB binaries in the SVN. SVN is used to track CHANGES to files. Since we cannot change binaries (only source codes), binaries have no business residing in SVN. In fact, a guy who claimed he knows SVN, but who later proceeded to check in version after version of his project binaries, got fired. Yeah, it's that scary to see someone use version control app to maintain software binaries (pic binaries are fine).

There's this argument put forth that "it's more convenient if we bundle the binaries in, so that new users can get up to speed quickly". However, new users who bother to use SVN should already be quite technically inclined, and will be able to run a script to "install" 3rd-party binaries into a deployment.

As it is now, with the 35+MB (or more?) binaries in SVN, it simply makes it somewhat harder even for experienced SVN or OFBiz users to download OFBiz.

This really isn't so much for new users, it's for all users of OFBiz, and IMO mostly for the regular and highly involved users. You either manually manage it or let a system do it. There is no way, period, I'd personally go for this because it would cause significant problems without any real upside for 99% of OFBiz users and developers, most importantly the contributing developers that SVN is meant for.

Manual things cause huge problems for complex systems. The extra effort require to normally do it is a small issue, the huge time wasting caused by small errors in these manual processes makes them worth all the effort and downside necessary to avoid them.

-David