Hi Phil,

When you install RPM from Sun it puts the Java in /usr/java/jdk1.5.XXX
(raplace XXX with you minor version)

The whereis command uses an internal database that is not immediately
refreshed, when you unistall or install RPM. It is refreshed once a day by
default. Check your cron.

You can also use the command find. Ex: find / -name java
This command scans the disk for files with name java. It can be slow.

Regards,
Renato