I am not sure about the front end - but I am doing something similar using
the backend code.

Look at PRODUCT_REQUIREMENT table - you need to set the product requirement
to be drop ship. Also look at ShoppingCart.createDropShipGroups() and
CheckoutEvents - which calls createDropShipGroups().

If the split criteria is solely based on supplier/dropship, it does
correctly create ship groups which are supplier based (atleast for me -
again all in the backend I have not used frontend). You can check that code
out in ShoppingCart as well.

Hope it helps.