From: "Bruno Busco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
BJ, the CSS resize is something that is performed in the web browser; the
image file is downloaded as it is saved in the server and then locally
resized according to the css specified dimensions.
Having only a large file stored in the server is very band consuming when,
for example, many images are displayed as thumbnails in one page.
On the other hand, having only a low resolution (light) file is bad when you
want a single large image in one page to show details.
This is why normally several formats of the same image are stored in the
server.

The way ofbiz handles the small, medium, large and detailed images could let
to have also completely different images but I do not now I often this
feature is used.
I think that having a mechanism that when the detailed (high resolution)
image is uploaded automatically generates all other small, medium and large
would be very useful.
In some systems I have seen a derived image is generated the first time it
is requested by a client.

Yes, I have been asked this question sometimes too... Some people wonder why
resizing online over and over, some argue that loading
3 different images is a bandwidth waste. I never did a profile on this, would
be curious if someone did (OK I understand it depends
on a lot of things ;o)

I agree that providing an optionnal such one-time-resizing-and-save tool OOTB
would be cool...

Jacques