I have a few thoughts regarding this issue. Most of them came from analyzing
commercial accounting and financial software.

All companies use one or more bank accounts in their daily transactions.
Some of this transactions relate to their operations (sales and purchases).
Others relate to taxes and commisions from the bank or financial
institution.
There are automatic money transfers, credit payments, and all sorts of
monetary transaction.

Assuming that the bank almost never makes a mistake, it is a very smart
habit to keep the company books in sync with what the bank statement says.

I figured a set of requirements to satisfy a client who needs this
functionality:

1) There has to be a simple way to input the bank data into the system. As
far as I know, all banks let you download this data in some simple and
parseable format.
-> We need a different parser for each format.

2) The data has to be stored in a common structure in the system. At a
minimum this is needed:
-Bank Statement number/sequence
-Bank Statement date
-Current Balance (available and retained)
-Previous Balance
-Transaction Date
-Transaction description
-Document number
-Credit Amount
-Debit Amount
-> A common structure is needed to store the data from different banks

3) Each line in the bank statement must have a connection to an accounting
transaction item. This transactions items could exist already or have to be
created to match the bank statement.
-> An ui must exist to let a user enter a match between a bank statement
line and an accounting transaction item.
-> An ui must exist to let a user create a new transaction item with data
from a line in a bank statement.
-> When a match is made, the bank statement line must be disabled for a new
match.
-> It would be nice if the system could suggest possible matches.

4) The balances in the corresponding general ledger account and bank
statements must match.

5) FinAccount could be used to represent the bank account. Each bank
statement will be related to it's corresponding FinAccount.

6) The bank statement lines need the following possible states:
- CREATED
- RECONCILED

7) The bank statement need the following possible states:
- CREATED
- IN PROCESS
- RECONCILED

Daniel.

We would need a way to import the transaction data into OFBiz