What does it do if the new product costs more or less than the old?

-David

On Mar 24, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Sanders, Brian wrote:

So, here's the idea I want to try out:
1. I made an "Exchange" ReturnType
2. I made an "Exchange" OrderType
3. I added a "referenceProductId" relation to ReturnItem
4. I will probably add a "referenceQuantity" field to ReturnItem as well

In the return screen, if you select "Exchange", then the user will be
asked for the product/quantity of the replacement item. Accepting the
return will function just like a replace, except the item/quantity will
be pulled from the new fields.

I just wanted to get some feedback as to whether or not this seems like a good design. I feel that the logic is ok, but I'm unsure if adding the
reference fields to ReturnItem is the proper way to add the feature. I
just don't want to paint myself (or anyone else) into this corner where
you have to add fields to entity to add a similar feature. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: David E Jones [mailto:david.jo...@hotwaxmedia.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:52 PM
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Subject: Re: Exchanges

OFBiz does support various things that could be called an "Exchange".
Usually this is done as a return for in-store credit, and then the
customer can place whatever order they would like. A CSR could also do
this on behalf of a customer without the customer having to place the
actual order.

Typically the return for replacement is for the same item and not
exchanging for a different item, but with a little playing it could
easily be used way... it's just more complicated since an exchange for
a different item usually results in a credit to, or balance due from,
the customer.

-David