On Sep 10, 2009, at 8:48 PM, James McGill wrote:

I'm not the best communicator in these forums, I realize.

I understand the service architecture pretty well, and have explored the applications that relate to my business requirement in some depth. I didn't intend to come across as skeptical of the design, but rather, curious as to
whether there are performance and/or scaling considerations that are
addressed by the static procedure calls.
Are server JRE's happier with static members? Is there a lesser need for runtime optimizations? Does this make it simpler to scale the application
by deploying multiple servers?

With these questions you are implying issues but not actually saying what you are worried about...

What is it that concerns you?

It's early in our development effort, but we have been wondering about the scalability of OFBiz (or specifically, of the product/order applications for
inventory control and supply chain).  I shouldn't change the subject
mid-thread this way, so I will try to formulate more specific questions
about scaling.

I'm hoping for more specific advice than is found here:
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Scaling+and+Performance+Plan

I also wonder if anyone can share a case study of OFBiz applied to
industrial supply chain, say with multiple facilities or unusual product /
work effort configurations.

Are you worried about the customization side of things, or the scaling side of things? Or, perhaps both?

If you haven't already you could check out the OFBiz users wiki page to see some of the end-users and a bit about what they've done with OFBiz (usually not a lot of details, but general ideas and company names are sometimes enough).

-David