Here is what I understand to setup tax calculations
* TaxAuthority - register the Geo and the PartyID responsible for collecting
taxes in that region
* TaxAuthorityCategory - Add the productcategories to be charged for this
taxauthority
* TaxAuthorityRateProduct - Here you setup what type of tax you want to
collect and the percentange

After this, register a party with a geoID as above.  Create a purchase order
with this party.

Hope my above information will help you a little bit.

-Aswath