I don't generally start OFBiz to do some development unless I'm playing around with the UI, the usual process is:
Write some code
Run some tests
Start OFBiz and manually test if needed
Commit

As a percentage of my day tests would take at most maybe 5% which I don't really consider excessive and I don't feel the need to sit there and stare at the console while the tests run.

It should be possible to run a test suite against an already running instance, assuming no compilation is required and the database is in the state required by the tests (i.e. pretty much unchanged from a fresh install).

Regards
Scott