I woke up with a lot of text to read here in Brussels. I was about to make a
detailed answer on your "How would you like things to work?" when I found out
somebody linked ofbiz.apache.org 'Documentation' to a page I haven't seen
before. I'm gonna end up believing in Santa Claus again!

I would have started to order by release like the examples below - there must
be a reason why people are ordering by release - :

Windows

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/docs/default.aspx

Apache http

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/

Derby (guess some Armonk(NY) based IT company had a hand in this one)

http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html

(couldn't check Oracle because the link is broken :-)  - way to go Lary! - :
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/index.html )

Nevertheless it is looking really neat compared with where it came from. I'll
be traveling the next three weeks, but I will certainly try to update something
if I come across.

Have a nice day,

Axel

> Subject: Re: OFBiz data load - Documentation
> From: d...@me.com
> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:38:52 -0600
> To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
>

> On Jan 18, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Axel Van Noten wrote:
>

> > I'm an economist, and I don't believe I can analyse the present.
>
> That's good. Then you have some understanding of market forces and
> motivations. The trick is how to get people to do things, and on top of that
> how to get them to work with others to do things. With code there are lots of
> reasons to collaborate, and some of the nature of code forces people to
> collaborate if they want to work on similar things. With documentation there
> is not only a problem with people finding reasons to work on it and
> contribute things, but even more there is a problem of getting people to
> collaborate to better organize things and reduce duplication of effort.
>
> > I don't see how I can help to change the structure of the documentation. If
> > I can edit the cwiki I'be glad to change the hierarchy as proposed.
>
> Ironically one of the places with the least collaboration is in organizing
> things. Everyone who works on it seems to come in and impose a top-down
> structure and start (but usually not finish) putting things in that
> structure, or they go bottom up and start organizing things and grouping
> similar things. With the second approach there is also rarely finishing, but
> at least the progress can be somewhat cumulative.
>
> You can certainly change things. We have an open space that anyone with an
> account can modify:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ
>
> If you're going to go with the top-down approach I mentioned above, I'd
> recommend doing it in a series of pages that point to other pages rather than
> changing the actual hierarchy (I'm actually rather surprised that with so
> many programmers about people haven't done more of this approach).
>
> There are spaces that don't allow just anyone to edit them, including the
> end-user and technical documentation spaces:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBENDUSER
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBTECH
>
> The maverick nature of documentation so far clearly shows here... as there is
> a lot to be desired in terms of volume and polish of the documentation. To
> see even more of the maverick nature of doc efforts, you can also look around
> at the various external sites with documentation on them.
>
> > If it will never change, so be it. I just believe it's a pity of this work,
> > people getting started and not finding the f****** manual.
>
> Well, to start with try this page (if you haven't already):
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index
>
> Of course, even there you'll notice that it is heavy on technical
> documentation.
>
> I guess in general there just isn't as much end-user documentation, if that's
> what you're looking for, and what there is tends to be scattered about in the
> [...]

Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from
Hotmail®.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_4:092009