Hi Miles,

I don't use it often but I believe the associations are currently pretty much
only used by the product search functionality.  If you choose to search within
a given category and that category has features associated with it then they
will be displayed as selectable filtering options on the search form.

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com