Bruno,
this will resolve the issue with exception. But still don't know how to
display a value from the related entity.
Here's the code:

    <field name="primaryProductCategoryId" title="Primary Category">
            <display-entity entity-name="ProductCategory"
                    key-field-name="productCategoryId"
description="${categoryName}">
                    <sub-hyperlink target="EditCategory"
                            description="${categoryName}"
target-type="intra-app">
                            <parameter param-name="productCategoryId"
value="${primaryProductCategoryId}" />
                    </sub-hyperlink>
            </display-entity>
    </field>

How can I use the "${categoryName}" in the sub-hyperlink ?