I want to expand the conversation about using Ofbiz not just Ecommerce.
First let start by thinking that everything is a system, living is a system.
Everything we do is a bunch of black boxes with input and outputs, with the processes to deal with the input and create the output. To address ERP, we all in our lives, implement resource planning, some better than others. An example is meal planning. Though most do this second nature from a lot of experience, it can also be model in software. So how does resource-planning work in the home? From the Power used to do things like cooking, heating, to house repair is all resource planning. The “E” part simply defines the max scope of the software to handle such activities.

Most of your specs  for a “requirements Engine” is resources planning.
The end Goal is do we have the necessary resources to do something.
One of those resources is Cash. For seniors this is paramount if they are on a fixed income. Resource planning and creating a budget is something Ofbiz can do with some added customization or expanding the current system.

Have you thought to use Ofbiz to develop the requirements of you AAL project?
Use the Project manager will give you feel for what I mean.

So lets talk about Ofbiz.
You have a framework that already does a lot, you specify a entity and its relationship then with just a few commands you have that available for the Screenlet. Layered on top of the framework is the Application that are generic to most of living but is primarily focused on business.

Then you have the specific layer like Ecommerce and manufacturing.
Now don’t discount manufacturing since that is what you do in the kitchen as recipes.

I am serious when I say David is Architect a comprehensive system that can used in every aspect of our lives.

So I would suggest:
1)Download Ofbiz and run it in Localhost mode as a desktop to use the project manager and get feel for what it does.
2)Put it on a server so others in you group can do projects and tasks.

=========================
BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation
<http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=52>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Vadim Eisenberg sent the following on 9/5/2010 12:01 AM:

Hi BJ,

It is an interesting idea ! You actually propose to use OfBiz as the core
platform for the AAL, and not only as an e-commerce solution. We will
consider it as an option. However, I would say that it seems that it could
be an overkill to use an ERP solution as a general platform for
applications and devices. This option could be too heavy, in terms of
unneeded code/unneeded business features/high learning curve etc.. The
idea is definitely interesting, though.

Best Regards,
Vadim
Vadim Eisenberg