Sorry for typos :D

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Really interesting experience!

Thanks for the objective and detailed information Mike :o)

One more thing to add: OFBiz is Apache 2.0 license and driven by a community
when OpenERP has a special (unclear to me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenERP#License_and_Impacts_on_Business_Model)
license and is actually a kind of proprietary
software.
The OFBiz community has proved it is here to stay. On the other hand, you never
know about proprietary softwares. Look at what
happened to Magento for instance: sold by to Ebay by Varien

We know we need to improve/update our documentation. Fortunately in OFBiz
world; beside our excellent maintained and tuto (thanks
Pranay!) we have some books which can help to learn
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books

Jacques

From: "Mike" <mz4whee...@gmail.com>
I had done a lot of work with OpenERP (about 6-8 months worth) until I
finally ditched it for OFBiz.  From my standpoint:

1) OpenERP has *NO* decent ecommerce module... Period.  If you have a need
for ecommerce, and you have 10s of thousands of products, then forget about
OpenERP.  You are forced to use a shopping cart like Magento and do
"syncing", using XMLRPC, which takes forever (about 1 product/sec), and
always seems to run out of memory or stops 1/2 way through the syncing
process.

Suppose you have big plans and you want a shopping cart with 100,000
products.  Now imagine that it would take (at best!) a day and a half to
sync products.  It is completely unusable!

There is also "Magento Pro", which claims to sync to SAP-based businesses.
Ever heard back in the old days that no one has ever got fired for buying
IBM?  Believe me, if some IT guy recommended to buy Magento Pro and expect
great performance linking to SAP, he would get fired.  Look at all the big
sites, Amazon, Overstock,etc, NONE of them do use "syncing".

2) OFBiz comes as a complete ERP, OpenERP allows "modules" that can extend
the ERP system with features later...  Supposedly.  This always seems to
error out after you have some real data in the database, and you later add
a new module.  It is important to thoroughly study your OpenERP
requirements FIRST, add ALL modules you ever expect to use (in
the beginning), then start using the ERP.

3) OpenERP is Europe-centric when it comes to Accounting.  I had trouble
getting it to work and comply with US requirements.  I haven't looked
lately, but at the time there was no good US-based services like "
authorized.net" for OpenERP.  It may be different today.

4) Documentation.  OpenERP has OFBiz beaten in the category.  Great docs
for OpenERP.

5) OFBiz (java) vs OpenERP (python).  I think java scales better than
python.

The big reason I finally ditched OpenERP was the single database feature
between OFBiz and it's ecommerce module.  Syncing became a total nightmare
between dissimilar databases.  It was hard enough to learn and
become familiar with OpenERPs schema, now I also had to learn yet another,
complex schema for Magento, which is EAV based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93attribute%E2%80%93value_model

It was just too complex.  At least with OFBiz, I know all the tables relate
to each other.

Mike

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Jonville Paul <