So I spent another day trying to nail down the issue and I did :-)

It seems like the trunk release has some issues with working with INR (I'm
not sure if that's the case with other currencies though).

I created a custom XML to populate data in after installing the seed data
with default currency and product prices mentioned in INR. the same was
working fine as long as i was working with release 11.04, however when I
tested the latest trunk release - I could no longer add products to shopping
cart. Got the error messages mentioned in this discussion chain.

I now have two separate instances on ofbiz running the trunk releases from
today; with the same XML data import (one with currency as INR & the other
with USD). All is working well with USD while with INR as the currency I'm
unable to add products to the shopping cart.

Hope the dev team can take a look at this and resolve the bug. I'd be happy
to provide any data that can help you guys reproduce the issue.

-----
Rgds
Sanjeev