I Agree Nick, this can't be implemented as a simple "and" "or". With large
deployment, there will be several permutation and combinations. It will have
to be promotions extension as well as DB entity.

The way I look at it, there will be three kind of promotions
1) Promo's that can't be combined with any other promotions - typically the
ones that are x% on your shopping carts.
2) Promo's that can clubbed with any other promotions - lets say get
sunglasses free with shoes.
3) Finally the ones that can be only clubbed with specific promotions - this
is were it'll get complex and will need the matrix or associations.

For the first two, you can work with just having another field to flag the
promotions. For the third kind may need a new table itself to manage
association..

-----
Rgds
Sanjeev