Sounds like classic garbage collection.  Java freezes while it sifts
through memory looking for stuff to delete.  The larger the memory, the
longer it takes.

-Xms2048M -Xmx2048M -server -Xincgc

Try the above.  The -Xincgc will continuously GC on a separate, slow
running thread.  Also, run a separate instance of OFBiz for
frontend/back-end, connected to same DB.