Dear James,

the library and reuse of images is OK, but you could see them as "master data". With e.g. imagemagick you could create all the scaled images you need and keep the originals.
At the same time you could set the right compression on those images.
This is something that could be done via a cron job or manualy.

a process could be e.g.
- upload pictures to a central directory for all master images
- each hour a batch process looks into the master directory and creates the different images in the correct size in a separate directory

This way you keep your customers satified and at the same time comply with best practices in web front end engineering re. performance.

If I remember correctly I read somewhere that ofbiz resizes images in the correct sizes when you upload them, I don't know if this would be conflicting with this idea ?

Kind regards

Tore