From: Nick Rosser [mailto:nros...@solveda.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:45 PM
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Subject: Re: OFBiz / BigFish site goes live -- www.1800athlete.com

Ted,

Lots of questions :-) Thanks for the interest ... I'll try to answer
them as best I can:

Is the advantage of BigFish over OFBiz - trunk primarily, or even
only, with regard to ecommerce?

NICK: BigFish is an extension of OFBiz. We re-use trunk code, the entity
model, and the great service layer. So, for example, we have a concept
called "HEADER_LINKS" -- this is a piece of content that manages the display
of the very top of each eCommerce page (where your would normally have Store
locator, My Account etc.). This is managed in regular OFBiz "content"
entities ... but more easily maintained in the Admin Module (Content ->
Site Info ->  Header Links). So, you can see that by this simple example
that we're reusing a great feature of OFBiz, just putting a much more
manageable interface behind it. This is what BigFish is really all about --
reusing features of OFBiz, having our own Admin Module, and giving control
to the business users to manage their site.

If not, can you point to a document
that describes the differences between the two?  (Some of those I am
interested in serving are not involved in ecommerce, as it is rather
hard to sell a shower or a new roof, over the web, but they need the
inventory, accounting and project management features).

NICK: right now it is very much focused on eCommerce and the customer facing
aspect of eCommerce. We are slowly exposing more of the backend ERP features
into the BigFish Admin Module (for example, we're recently exposed the
order-status-change features in the Order Management module). Key word here
is "exposing", not re-writing or writing ... reusing existing OFBiz
services. Inventory will be exposed throughout this year.

Also, you had mentioned multi-site capability. Have you written up
instructions on how to deploy that?

NICK: this is a todo. You can see the existing Help at
http://bigfish.solveda.com/help/index.htm -- the "HOW DO I" and "GUIDES"
have the most value. We are essentially using the PRODUCT_STORE feature and
linking up Product Catalogs to the Product-Store. All out-of-the-box stuff.
There is a new entity in the data model called X_CONTENT_XREF (we've
prefixed our new entities with "X" to make it clearer) that maps various
content to the Product-Store (not supported out-of-the-box). We are working
on another "extended site" for a client at which point documentation will be
available. It's actually not that difficult.

In connection to this, can a merchant readily
hire a graphics design person to modify the look and feel of the
ecommerce site?  If so, what is involved?  Would they simply make
their own CSS, and drop it in place?

NICK: yes, exactly. If you compare our two demo sites Fashion-House and
Electronic-Store there are basically very few differences: same BigFish
application; different database with different products; different CSS;
different content; different parameters. That's pretty much it. For the CSS
we've spent a lot of time generated markup that lends itself to being
morphed by CSS -- working out really nicely imo.

And also concernig this, what do
you do to support search engine optimization?  After all, even a
pretty website is useless if people don't often find it.

NICK: mainly up to the client to provide good keywords. Some highlights: we
use sensible defaults for page titles and meta tags (all can be overridden
in the Admin Module). We have a sitemap.xml generator. We have friendly
URL's built into the solution.

One last
question I would ask about multisite BigFish is in fact related to
what I need to do to set up a multisite WordPress site (not obvious,
but not rocket science either), involves what I would need to do to
set up an ecommerce site that presents excerpts of digital products
(say essays available to subscribers to a WordPress site), and uses
them as ads for selling subscriptions to a wordpress site.  I know
OFBiz already has support for digital products, but it isn't clear to
me how to configure a happy marriage of OFBiz/BigFish to WordPress.

NICK: not entirely sure to be honest, not sure I quite understand. The
digital content can be nicely accommodated but it would really depend on
your detailed requirements.

Finally, I saw, on your page for getting BigFish, instructions that
involve downloading an installation program.  Do you also have it
acessable via subversion, or other version control system?  Instead of
running an installer, I'd prefer to retrieve the codebase and build it
in the same way that I obtain and build OFBiz, if you support that?
(Or should I have read further in that documentation?)

NICK: I know we've talked about having a public read-only SVN available on
the site. I'll follow-up with the techs. Shouldn't be a problem.

Nick

http://bigfish.solveda.com.