Hi Robert,

Re: VAT rules in the EC
To my understanding the general rule (in any EC country) is that you have
to include the VAT on your invoice to any customer, disregard whether they
are consumers of business customers. This general rule applies to both
domestic and foreign customers.

With regards to business customers the exception is that they can deduct
the stated (and paid) VAT from their charged (and received) VAT on their
VAT return to the tax authorithy. This applies to both VAT paid on domestic
purchases as on foreign purchases.

Due to tax agreements between countries this has been simplified to
charging foreign customers with a VAT charge of 0%.
But, and this is a strong but, only when the foreign customer has provided
a)TAX id, and verification has been established of its b) correctness and
being c) associated to the (legal entity of) customer. The burden of this
verification is on the seller.

Only after positive verification (of  b and c mentioned before) the seller
is allowed to state a VAT charge of 0%.

Re VAT charging and OFBiz.
First of all, there is a specific page in the OFBiz documentation regarding
VAT, see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/VAT
This document was last updated on April 24, 2012. So it could prove not in
sync with situation today. Plus, recently I have seen some modifications
been done to VAT calculation and charging functionality. Paul (Foxworthy)
was in control of implementing the modifications I saw. Please check with
dev mailing list archive and/of Paul.

Secondly, in order to do proper VAT calculation and charging (both domestic
and abroad) all parameters need to be set correctly. Among others that
means:
- Country Code must be registered on the appropriate contact mechanism for
each party.
- In Accounting (menu item Tax Authority) you can associate the foreign
customer to the tax authority of that country, and with that association
you can set the 'Exempt' flag for that customer if you have a positive
verification. See
https://demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org:8443/accounting/control/ListTaxAuthorityParties?taxAuthPartyId=CA_BOE&taxAuthGeoId=CA

If you have done so, OFBiz should calculate the proper VAT charge (being
0%) applicable for that country-customer combination.

With kind regards,

Pierre Smits

Pierre Smits