Adrian, I think that you have summed up the situation in your succinct post
- there are some service providers who are heavily invested in this project
and it is their concern for their own interests that is  guiding OFBiz.
Someone new looking at OFBiz should lament the fact that so much
application value is tied to such old technology. Then they should look at
Moqui and see how easy it would be to port that value to a new platform -
at least much easier than creating a new framework - and wonder why it is
not being done.

I reject the idea that "anyone is interested in building applications on
Moqui, [...]should do it in the Moqui community". OFBiz does not belong to
the PMC; it belongs to everybody. I have a dream... sorry, got carried
away. This seems like a test of the Apache framework - does it provide for
the long-term life of a project when it conflicts with the self-interests
of the PMC?

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Adrian Crum <
adrian.c...@sandglass-software.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> hard work put in by the community, but firstly because of the brilliant
>> architecture and foundation provided by David (and Andrew). When that same
>> mind applies it to fixing most of OFBiz's problems we should be talking
>> about how to transition - end of discussion, IMHO.
>>
>> I believe that it has been since David wrote this email that he has
>> integrated Elasticsearch and Drools into Moqui. Those are the kinds of
>> exciting technologies that OFBiz needs. And it is high time that we
>> stopped
>> programming in Java. I have loved the seemless transition to Groovy and I
>> like having only one scripting language. The future is going to demand
>> much
>> more flexibility than OFBiz can deliver. Moqui, with its small core size
>> and its application of FreeMarker to the frontend provides that
>> flexibility.
>>
>> I don't know exactly how the transition to Moqui should take place, but
>> that is where the discussion should take place. Anything else, and we are
>> just discussing how slowly the ship will be sinking. I think David should
>> remain in control of the core (as I think he would insist), but there are
>> lot of options for porting the mantle and crust portions. I think we
>> should
>> think outside the box and look to something like KickStarter to get it
>> done
>> quickly.
>>
>> -Al
>>
>> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM, David E. Jones <d...@me.com> wrote:
>>

>>> OFBiz has recently turned 12 years old. At the time it was written many
>>> more modern libraries either didn't exist or were not usable, including:
>>>
>>> - Groovy
>>> - ehcache
>>> - Quartz Scheduler
>>> - Atomikos
>>> - JackRabbit (and JCR in general)
>>> - Shiro
>>> - Camel
>>> - JSON-RPC, REST, JSON in general
>>> - ElasticSearch (and to some extent even Lucene)
>>> - Document and other NoSQL databases (of which ElasticSearch is sort of,
>>> but I mean CouchDB, MongoDB, Hadoop and derivatives, etc)
>>>
>>> Some of these are used, or with some customization usable, in OFBiz. Many
>>> of them overlap a lot with parts of the OFBiz framework, and unlike
>>> JPA/Hibernate sorts of things, do a better job than what is in OFBiz.
>>>
>>> Some big ones are caching, job scheduling, content management, and even
>>> searching. The OFBiz ProductSearch stuff works well enough (though not
>>> great) for smaller sets of products, but doesn't compare in flexibility,
>>> scalability, and speed to ElasticSearch and some other Lucene-based
>>> alternatives. With some simple framework extensions (like the
>>> DataDocument,
>>> DataFeed, and DataSearch features of Moqui) implementing excellent search
>>> for products would be easy, as would search for any other part of the
>>> system... and all combined in a single system-wide search or segmented as