Actually it depends on your needs. In France we still use only "départements"
for addresses (with street, postal code and city of course).

There are rumours about things changing. Like no longer having "départements" in France but only "régions". But I doubt this will appear in a near future. For history sake, the dpts were created during the revolution to allow a "Préfet" (responsible on behalf the state for the dpt) to get into any part of it in one day on horseback, so a bit deprecated ;)

So for now in term of addresses only "départements" are used. So in the state province list regions make no sense yet. You should use departements there, maybe data should be changed. As strange as it could seem, I have never worked on a major French web project (only foreign ones). So I never checked those values which were mostly updated by Erwan when he worked with Néréides. On French web sites, you see dpt sometimes and on foreigner sites sometimes regions, it's not quite clear to me and seems to depend on the situation.

Also if data are wrong please fix them. Note that for that I don't rely only on
Wikipedia, but prefer to check at https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#search
I put some links in top of framework/common/data/GeoData.xml

HTH

Jacques