See below:

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Mike <mz4whee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not deploy it as another hot-deploy component?   Is it considered a
> "core" ERP component?

I do not know about whether or not it is 'core', but the idea of deploying
it as a hot-deploy component has merit.

As I read Jacopo's remarks, it isn't so much a concern about whether or not
the component in question ought to be included in OFBiz at all, but rather
the concern is of the risk of including it at a late date in the release
cycle (just before a scheduled release).  As a developer, I know there
would be major pushback by the development team against any manager asking
to include a new 'feature' shortly before a scheduled release.  We have a
feature freeze in a release cycle for a reason.  For any new feature, there
needs to be a dialog between at least the senior developers and the
management, and the users,  about what the feature is, how it ought to
work, &c., and that is a dialog that can not be rushed if you want a good
product; if you work on adding a new feature even months before a release
date, I can guarantee it will not be well thought
out/designed/implemented.  Even if the component being considered at the
moment is 'reasonably' well conceived and much work has gone into
developing it, if it has never been part of the 13.07 release, including it
so close to the scheduled release is a recipe for 'problems', and possibly
some sleepless nights and ulcers for whoever has to make it work.  In my
shop, we have a whole separate system on which new and proposed features
are developed and tested thoroughly before that code is even considered for
inclusion in our production systems.  It is a test bed on which all
interested parties can see new features in operation, in the context of the
application, and learn about what is practicable and desirable.  Sometimes,
after working with it on dev, they see that trying to fully implement and
deploy the new feature would be foolish and unnecessary; and this before
major development effort has been invested.  And sometimes, we collectively
learn that the new feature is practicable and desirable, and at that point,
we already have a prototype that can be used to quickly develop it to a
point where it can be deployed to production.

Jacopo does say that "It would be better to discuss its inclusion in the
upcoming new release branch where it could be stabilized and bug fixed."
Myself, I would take that a step further in suggesting, borrowing from
Mike's suggestion, that it ought to be available as something that can be
used in a hot-deploy sandbox as it were: a method that, conceptually
facilitates those interested in it to work with it, test in in their
release, &c., but in such a way that it can not damage anything else in the
application.

It may be useful to look at how R handles these issues.  There is R-core,
and an R-core team, that is part of the main distribution (all packages
included in an installation of it), and then there is CRAN (similar in
concept to CPAN, for any Perl programmers out there - I hope it isn't
considered blasphemy to talk about Perl in this forum ;-)  ), to which all
members of the R community can contribute their packages; analogous to
components in the context of an application like OFBiz.  CRAN has a QA
protocol, which must be passed in order for an R package to be added to
CRAN; something that assures users that their system will not be trashed if
they instal a package available from CRAN.  And, sometimes, the R core team
decides that one of the packages on CRAN is so important and useful that
they decide to add it to core (this doesn't happen often, but it does
happen).  So then, in the context of OFBiz, the first question becomes, can
the hot-deploy support be used in a manner similar to a snadbox that
protext the rest of the system from badly behaved code (NB: I am not
implying anything about the code in the component in question now, but
rather thinking in general terms for any new component anyone may want to
contribute)?  And then, the question becomes, what protocol can be used for
promoting components from the 'sandbox' to incorporation into the 'core
release'; whatever you want to call it?

Cheers

Ted

--