I use trunk myself, but like Adrian I'd generally recommend the lastest release
branch.
The trunk is really bleeding edge and the only advantage I have using it is, since I'm a committer, I can interact with it and add new features I use in custom projects more easily.
Anyway if ever you need a new feature from the trunk it's often easy to simply
merge it from the trunk...

Jacques