*From:* "darrell73s" <darrellof...@gmail.com>
*To:* "user@ofbiz.apache.org" <user@ofbiz.apache.org>
*Sent:* November 26, 2014 12:45 PM
*Subject:* Tomcat Unresponsive

Hi All,

I've been having some strange behavior on a test system (with little to no
volume) AND a live system for a custom OFBiz 12.04.02 application which I've
created. It's worth noting that in the custom application, raw connections
are not used, and everything is always done within the confines of the
entity engine and framework.

I'll briefly explain the architecture which applies to the TEST and LIVE
systems, but more details can be provided as needed. I have a PostgreSQL
database which is shared between two different instances of OFBiz. One
instance (1) has certain webapps running, and another instance (2) has a
different set of webapps running. We run Apache 2.4 in front of each
instance, and Apache is connected to the OFBiz tomcat via AJP using mod_jk.
I've also ensured that only one instance's job manager is actually
processing jobs, to keep the table locking to a minimum.

The strange part is that frequently, you will attempt to connect to OFBiz
instance 1, and Tomcat is unresponsive. I've determined there to be an issue
connecting to Tomcat as mod_jk reports errors about not being able to
connect to the ajp port, and since I also run the http connector, if I
attempt to connect locally on the machine
(i.e.http://localhost:8080/webtools - completely bypassing Apache 2.4)
the
browser hangs and I never receive a response. The other OFBiz instance
appears to be unaffected in this manner. I only mention this other instance
in case there's some multi-instance interaction occurring which I may not be
aware of.

Generally, the only way to fix this is to restart the application, and it's
fine for a while, but ultimately I'll see the same behavior before too long.
I've run jVisualVM, performed a thread dump, and noticed there to be locks
on the GenericObjectPool.doBorrow() method which is in the same call stack
as retrieving database connections from the pool. Figuring that it could
perhaps be a database pooling issue, I ran using the DebugManagedDataSource
in the DBCPConnectionFactory, but the information it provided didn't appear
to indicate any issues.

Interestingly enough, the LIVE system (which users are constantly using),
lasts longer without needing restarts than the TEST system which has little
to no volume.

Have any of you seen anything like this? Given that I'm seeing an issue even
with Apache out of the picture it almost seems as though there may be a
misconfiguration in OFBiz?

Thanks!
Darrell