Hi all,

Just as a follow up on this, I was ultimately able to get to the bottom of
the issue. It turned out to be a product of my environment. I came to find
out that in my environment, there is a stateful firewall which will
terminate connections which are idle for a given period of time. By writing
a test program which uses the driver directly (taking OFBiz out of the
equation), I simulated the issue, and discovered that attempting to use the
connection once it gets into the strange state after the firewall having
killed it, the call to run the query hangs for about 15 minutes before
returning and throwing an exception (if I remember correctly it was a socket
read timeout). Even with the connection pooler attempting to run the test
query would cause this hanging behavior, as it's attempting to execute the
query on the bad connection. This means that when attempting to visit the
application, the application retrieves a connection from the pool, attempts
to log the Visit, but because the connection is in a bad state, the query
hangs, without throwing an exception, and you see the original behavior I
described.

Because of my environmental constraints, I was not able to get the firewall
modified, but was able to work around it by manipulating
'timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis' and 'minEvictableIdleTimeMillis' such that
connections are closed and re-established in the pool at a rate under the
time at which the firewall will terminate them.

I'm now working on tackling a different issue which I see every few days in
my LIVE system where the status of a query in PostgreSQL will be "idle in
transaction" and seems to cause other queries to begin piling up. So far, it
has been queries on the Product, and ProductCalculatedInfo entities which
are idle in transaction, but it appears to be at random times: one second
the query works fine, the next it becomes idle in transaction. I've searched
all of my hot deploy code to ensure that there are no transactions being
manually controlled in the custom code (e.g. Maybe there was a begin
transaction with no commit/rollback) but it all appears fine. Have any of
you folks ever seen this problem with OFBiz and PostgreSQL?

Thanks!