Others may have more definite information about what has been used in the past.

I have seen UML(use case) drawings in the wiki that use the same (or very similar) graphics that ArgoUML uses.
ArgoUML is open source
We are only scratching the surface in our internal use of it so I am not an expert modeller but it looks like something that an experienced UML modeler should be able to use to get most of the diagrams required to support development.

It would be nice to have a product that deals with the issue of version control and SCM for models in a way that allowed many people to update the models. It is probably possible to partition the model into enough chunks that people can keep the models up to date without tripping over each other.

There are a lot of database models already part of the documentation but I am not sure if they are up to date.
I also do not know what tool was used to make them
We use MySQL Workbench which is free and produces diagrams that are pretty aesthetically pleasing.

Ron