For mysql, there is tuning_primer.sh:
https://launchpad.net/mysql-tuning-primer

For postgresql, there is pgtune: http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtune

Most folks just use yum/apt-get to get pgtune:

apt-get install pgtune --or--
yum install pgtune

Although neither are perfect, both utilities attempt to change the DB
settings to take advantage of hardware, or look at certain things, like the
number of tables, and adjust the DB settings for maximum performance.

The default settings for mysql are quite limiting for ofbiz.  For instance,
ofbiz has over 800 tables and the default table cache for mysql is like 60
tables.