Hi Sharan,

can you share  the other document with me as well?

On 1/31/2017 5:20 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:
Hi Dave

Welcome to the community!

A while ago I created a  couple of free basic quickstart OFBiz Accounting
guides. They are for older versions of OFBiz but I don't think accounting has
changed too much. This one is on the wiki

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Quick+Start+-+Basic+Accounting+Setup

And I'll email you offline, the other one.

Thanks
Sharan

On 2017-01-14 09:31 (+0100), David McNeill <dav...@mcpond.co.nz> wrote:
I'm attempting to setup a new Ofbiz as an ERP.

In the General Ledger, I'm struggling to find the substance of it.

Key areas that I can't locate

* Entering an actual ledger journal - create a new GL direct transaction
(not from source AR, AP)

* Ledger Account balance enquiry

* Active ledger tree - clickable nested tree of accounts with balances
by period

* Ledger transactions display by account

It looks close in

Accounting Manager / Global GL Settings / Chart of Accounts / Navigate
Accounts

Nice tree, but show me the money, and with a period selector.

This area seems 'setup' focused, not user focused.

Accounting Manager / Main is filled with list and show options, but none
GL related.

Documentation doesn't give any hints either...

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBENDUSER/Apache+OFBiz+Business+Setup+Guide#ApacheOFBizBusinessSetupGuide-accountingSetup

         Creating ledger transactions.(to be completed)

And no mention at all of loading initial GL opening balances, which
would have to be second step after chart setup. Is this not possible?

Or do I need to write GL entry / view screens myself?  The data model
seems complete, the back end UI not really.

Am I missing something here? Or is OfBiz more web commerce with light
back end, ready for further customisation prior to actual use?

I'm totally committed to open source, need to deploy an ERP &
Accounting, and keep coming back to re-evaluate OfBiz  because it has
good community, stable Apache ownership, good database schema, good web
engine.  Just seems not ready for every day back end use by my
accounting team.

Comments anyone?

David