Dear James,
I would say, go for financial account or billing account to link with
parent organization (account type is variable in your case). After that do
minor customization while setting the billing party of order as parent
organization and placing party as sub organization.

IMO, once you do this invoice should be automatically choose the parent
customer. If not then minor customization required here as well.

Best Regards,
--
Rishi Solanki
*CTO, Mindpath Technology*