I have never had a problem just running the built ffmpeg out of the repository.
 The output below is from a clean server just to show which packages will be
installed.

aahepp@ubuntu-server:~$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following additional packages will be installed:

  libavdevice57 libsdl2-2.0-0

Suggested packages:

  ffmpeg-doc

  ffmpeg libavdevice57 libsdl2-2.0-0

0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 2,040 kB of archives.

After this operation, 3,824 kB of additional disk space will be used.